Creating Your Own Crystal Grids
The crystal grid is a manifestation tool that joins crystal energy with sacred geometry. When we align an underlying geometric pattern with compatible crystals, we can focus and amplify our intentions.
Grids consist of crystals placed in precise, geometric arrangements in order to affect the flow of energy for a specific purpose. The properties of the stones used, combined with their arrangement in a sacred geometric configuration, create a unique energy frequency that enhances your intention and helps manifest your desired result. Combining crystal energy with Sacred Geometry exponentially enhances the power of both: the sacred geometry of the formation expresses your intention in a clear and direct way, while the stones amplify this intention and send it out into the universe!
We might also say this is a case where the whole is more than the sum of its parts. A grid creates a powerful energy field, and every element of the process adds to this energetic “package.” Let’s look at some of these elements...
Set Your Intention
The most important aspect of creating a crystal grid is formulating your intention, and stating that intention in a clear and positive way. For example, it's better to use a strong statement such as "This grid will help me focus positive energy on my family," than to say something vague ("I'll be a better mom") or negative ("I'll stop nagging my kids"). A well-formulated intention should focus on you, rather than attempting to subvert the will of other people. Write your intention down before getting to work on the grid.
Choose Your Pattern
A favorite pattern for a crystal grid is some aspect of the Flower of Life, the fundamental spatial arrangement that Sacred Geometry tells us is the framework of our entire universe. The form known as the Seed of Life is especially good for grids, because it represents all possible beginnings and all possible paths -- a gateway to infinite possibility. Other shapes have their own sacred meanings: the stable square, the infinite circle or lemniscate, the energy-enhancing Metatron's cube. The free grid template download at the end of this article contains these sacred shapes and more!
Select a Base
The physical material underlying the grid has meaning as well. A wooden grid contains living energy, whereas a cloth grid can add a touch of color magic. You can put your grid on glass or a mirror to further spread its energy, or lay your stones directly on the floor or ground to bond with the Earth’s own energy field.
Whether you're using a specially crafted wooden board or just a piece of paper with your pattern printed on it, the most important part of choosing a base is ensuring that it aligns with your original intentions for your grid!
Find Your Crystals
Most grids use a single crystal as the central stone (sometimes called the anchor stone), and one or more sets of compatible stones to surround it, often in multiples of six. In our illustrations, we'll use two sets of companion stones, but there’s no reason you can’t use more or less. We strongly urge you to use your intuition in building your grid, especially when it comes to selecting crystals. Just be conscious of looking for crystals whose energies "mesh" and resonate with the grid's purpose.
One excellent way (though by no means the only way) to choose your crystals is to find:
- A central stone that complements your intention and is a strong energy channel.
- A set of primary stones you have chosen intuitively while remaining mindful of your purpose; these should support the energy of the anchor stone and further define your intention for your grid.
- A set of secondary stones chosen by some other intuitive means, such as with a pendulum or dowsing rods, or with the aid of an intuitive reader or other helper.
You may also surround the grid with a circle of clear quartz points to enhance its energy. And if you're using it to charge some other item, such as a magical tool or piece of jewelry, that item will usually go at the center of the grid. You can even use a large space such as a room as the perimeter of your grid, focusing the energy on the people who live or work there.
Setting Up the Grid
Once you have the materials at hand, you’re ready to set up the grid. You’ve already thought everything out beforehand, so this setup should be a smooth and joyful process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Cleanse everything. Whatever method you usually use for cleansing crystals will work fine for the other materials as well. There are many ways to cleanse crystals. This blog post from Love & Light School of Crystal Therapy covers ten of the most popular methods: 10 Sure-fire Ways to Cleanse Your Healing Crystals
- Set the board up, keeping your intention in mind. The place where your grid is set up will be a sacred space, so choose carefully. Also consider the amount of time needed to achieve the grid's purpose when selecting a location.
- Speak your intention. You may also add a few words of prayer or invocation, according to your faith, but it's a good idea to keep it simple.
- Lay out the stones. It's usual to start in the center and work your way out. But the most important thing is to remain mindful.
- Activate the grid by tracing its lines. If you know the technique of focusing light energy through your body through your palm, this works very well. You can use a finger to do the same thing, or some type of wand. (This too is part of the energy “package” associated with the grid, so choose something that meshes with the whole.) Start with the center stone, then go stone to stone, clockwise usually. Remain mindful of your intention. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can sing or chant your intention. Here's a short video that demonstrates one method.
Your crystal grid is ready!
You can use your grid for meditation or simply keep it somewhere to remind you of the intention, or lay it out under your bed.
If the grid is to stay up for a long time, you should make sure it stays physically and energetically clean, and recharge it about once a month.
It’s also good to use a theme sheet, which can be something as simple as a print-out of a flower of life, to record the pattern used, along with the intention. By keeping this after you take down the grid, you’ll have a way to remember that this tool helped you and was part of your life.
Looking for More Crystal Grid Info?
This is just a taste of the beauty and versatility of crystal grids. For even more information, check out this blog post from Love and Light School of Crystal Therapy: How to Create and Use a Crystal Grid.
Finally, here are some sample grids for inspiration – these are NOT meant to dictate the “correct” way to make a grid! They’re only intended to present a range of possibilities, and perhaps help you appreciate the range of choices and the amount of creativity you can use when creating your own crystal grids. The most important thing is to use your creative spirit to fill the grid with your own personality and positive intentions.
Self Love Grid
Center Stone: Rose Quartz Heart, a love stone
Surrounding Stones: Rhodochrosite for healing the inner child & Lithium quartz to stabilize mood and banish tension
Activate with personal energy & scatter rose petals for an extra self-love boost!
Refresh with rosewater
Take or Accept Control Grid
Shape: Seed of Life
Background: Wooden Seed of Life grid base
Center Stone: Carnelian for challenging times
Activate with quartz wand
Refresh with sage
Positive Home Energy Grid
Shape: Flower of Life
Background: Wooden Flower of Life grid base
Center Stone: Selenite pyramid, a purifying crystal with a stable shape
Activate & refresh with sage
Unblock Communication Grid
Background: Altar cloth
Center Stone: Celestite cluster for compassion & working together
Activate & refresh with toning or chanting
Make Peace Grid
Shape: 5-pointed Star
Background: paper grid (public domain)
Center Stone: Apophyllite to connect with higher beings
Surrounding Stones: Fairy Stones for peace, Amethyst for purification & protection
Activate & refresh with palo santo